30 March 2012

Things I've Learned Since Finding Out Ainslie and I Are Both Allergic to Wheat:

1.  EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD THAT TASTES GOOD has wheat in it.
2.  Despite #1, there is actually a lot of really good stuff that doesn't contain wheat.  I'm starting to stockpile it.
3.  Gorilla Munch cereal (from Trader Joe's) is SO MUCH BETTER than Kix.  I don't know what it is (or probably more like what it isn't, since there are only three delicious ingredients and I can pronounce all of them).
4.  Those red bumps on the back of my arms weren't just obnoxious leftovers from the hormone-craze that was adolescence---they were a sign of the allergy, and they're totally gone now
5.  I really miss Bao.  
6.  Thinking to one's self a week into the no-wheat thing, "Gosh, I'm probably not really allergic, I can have this cupcake!" is a spectacularly bad idea


That being said, I need to do some serious internet/library research about good gluten free recipes.  I specifically want to learn how to bake gluten-free because I really don't want Ainslie to be "that kid" who brings in celery sticks for her class on her birthday because she's allergic to cake.  Also, I want to figure out how to make gluten-free graham crackers.  Because making graham crackers is awesome.  What, I haven't blogged about that yet?  Get ready, it's been almost a year long obsession now and I'm ready for the world to know about it.

2 comments:

janna beth said...

I've been gluten free for a year and a half...and there are some wonderful GF cake mixes out there. While you may have to adjust the ratios of liquid/egg to get the texture right, gluten free baking is really no harder than regular baking.

Janna

Heather said...

Omg! I'm so glad you found out and that you're feeling better! I hope you all are well.