A soundtrack for this post:
It's here. Thirty days left until I leave Juneau.
Do I want to talk about it? No.
Am I happy about it? Yes and no.
But let it be resolved that while I am still here I will make the best of it, I will enjoy it, and I will squeeze everything I can out of this fair city of ours before I kick the Juneau bucket in a month. Because I absolutely refuse to look back on this experience and say, "I lived in Alaska for three-ish years and I didn't _________ ?!?!?!?"
My Alaska Bucket List:
- Drive to the Glacier to pick up the International Year of Forests posters.
- Hike as much as possible. Trails to include: West Glacier Loop, Gastineau Meadows, Perseverance, finally summit Mount Roberts (for real this time) and possibly a chunk or all of Mount Juneau
- Pick out a Tlingit paddle with Kip
- Photograph, photograph, photograph! Especially make sure to shoot the mine ruins past Sandy Beach
- Go camping
- Actually see a whale breach--I've seen one spout, I've seen a fluke, but I've never seen one breach
- Kayak at the Shrine
- Restaurants to make one last run to: Tracy's Crab Shack, the Sandpiper, Empanada Dorada
- Put together a box of Alaskan goodness for Ainslie when she gets older, so she can learn more about where she was born
- Send smoked salmon to Dr. Zelle
- Pick blueberries (THIS YEAR I WILL FIND THEM!!!!!!!!)
- Walk the Airport Trail the whole way
- Have matching kuspuks made for me and Ainslie
- Swim in the glacier runoff (but only if we have a significant stretch of warm days)
- Go gold panning with Sarah Morin