14 September 2010

Ten Things Tuesday

Ten Things That Made Me Smile This Past Week:
1.  The signs that it's truly Autumn in Southeast Alaska:  changing leaves, crisper feeling air, a sun that travels so low in the sky that it constantly looks like it's about 3:30 in the afternoon (I LOVE that warm sort of light!), and winter constellations hanging low in the longer-lasting night sky.  I realized the last of these signs around 4:45 this morning when I got up to pee (shocker, right?) and realized in a fit of goosebumps that I'd forgotten to close the window in the living room before bed.  I stood on the couch (necessary to close aforementioned window) and stared at Orion, the only winter constellation I know, hoping to see the Northern Lights since it was still pitch black outside, excepting the stars and the neighbor's porch light.  Two months ago, the sun would have been well up by that time.

2.  I know it was on last week's list, but it's still making me smile:  my mom is a genius who suggested tying Tillamook's harness to the clothesline so he can wander at will outside without running away.  It's diffused a lot of kitten-owner battles in our household.

3.  The cleaning fest we had on Friday.  The apartment looks incredible.

4.  The orange and red sunflowers Mom got for me after my last prenatal appointment showed I'm really not much further along in the dilation department than I was two weeks ago.  The sunflowers helped take me from totally bummed to only slightly dejected.

5.  My masseuse (don't judge, our insurance pays for massages if a doctor prescribes them and I'm taking full advantage of that!) gave me a hug after my last appointment while we were pointing out our favorite awkward baby photos on the bulletin board in the hallway of the Birth Center.  (The winner was the one where a woman, surrounded by her family, was at the crowning stage of birth.....crowning!  Do we really need photographic evidence of that?  In a public place? NO!)

6.  Father Thomas also decided last week that he needed to upgrade to an iPhone 4, which means that if I don't have Bean before he leaves this week, we can do a video call just like in the commercials!

7.  I made a trifle for dessert on Saturday and it was glorious--angel food cake, homemade whipped cream, organic peaches, nectarines, pluots and apples!  Yum!

8.  The thank you note we got from two-year-old Nolan Warnaca:  "Thank you so much for coming to my birthday and for the cool castle.  I can't wait to build it.  P.S.  I can't wait to be your son's friend, or date your daughter!  -Sir Nolan"

9.  Tillamook's new habit of sitting on the retaining wall by our back stairs.  It's cute.

10.  The amount of bonding we've been doing with our landlords ever since my mom started staying in their spare bedroom.  They're so great!

2 comments:

Heather said...

That trifle sounds AMAZING! Yum yum yummmmmmm

C'MON, BEEEEAAAN!

Oh, Helen said that because your "early labor" stuff has taken so long, your active labor should be easier because...well, you've been getting ready for it. =) Hopefully this is true. If not, I'll just prank her or something.

Kasey said...

Kasey agrees with Heather. You will rock it. And... I want to steal Sir Nolan.

:)