08 March 2010

The Subplot Wonder Turtle Meets the Counterculture Wonder Cat (written in the Steinbeckian style)

While I was in high school, I read The Grapes of Wrath.
(Ahem, one of the few books I actually did read!)
And held within The Grapes of Wrath is that subplot about the turtle crossing the road.
It's supposed to symbolize the futility of progress or something like that.
(Now, when I pick up a turtle to help it across the road, I try to move it in the direction it was facing. Thanks John Steinbeck).
The Subplot Wonder Turtle's journey is documented through the book, with little interludes between the chapters of real plot.
(I'm getting to a point soon, I promise)

My life has turned into a virtual Grapes of Wrath, and Tillamook plays the part of the Subplot Wonder Turtle, except he's more like the Counterculture Wonder Cat.


...Except I'm pretty sure the Subplot Wonder Turtle wouldn't have been able to move fast enough for every photo ever taken of him to come out blurry.

I wrote a few weeks ago about Tillamook's new favorite game: fetch. (He thinks he is a dog) Since then, the texture of my life has gone somewhat like this:
Wake Up
Tillamook greets me in the bathroom
Brush my teeth
Tillamook greets me in the bathroom once again, with a ball in his mouth. He drops it on the floor and looks at me expectantly.
Wash my face
He starts to meow, I throw the ball.
Get dressed
Throw the ball
Put on makeup
Throw the ball
Get food ready for work
Throw the ball, but a different colored ball this time, because Tillamook couldn't find the one I threw and settled for finding a different one and bringing me that to throw.
Put on my shoes
Throw the ball
Lock the door on my way out to work
Throw the ball across the apartment so he doesn't try to escape
Go to work
Ironically, throw more balls, but only because I'm the "toy assistant/bookseller" and the kids who come into the store like to toss around the store's rubber balls and then not pick them up
Pick up Kip
Come home
Throw the ball that has been plopped at my feet after the obligatory rubbing of my ankles and purring
Make a dinner-type situation
Throw the ball
Check my email/blog/Facebook
Throw the ball
Read a book
Throw the ball
Go to sleep
Throw the ball across the apartment so we can close the bedroom door and thereby lock out the cat



Talk about futility of progress! Steinbeck, your turtle has nothing on my cat.

3 comments:

Cat said...

Hey Cindy
I haven't been here for a while....
sounds like you are having a "BALL" of a time...hehehe
okay a little corny I know
mmm just wondering how Tillamooks arrival has affected your "other" room mate Despereux?
I see perhaps a little conflict of interest, one might say! ; )

ps loved the commercial about ...to their moms they will always be kids...it definitely "got" me

Cindy said...

Welcome back, Cat!

We haven't seen Despereaux since our run-in in the fall. We think he was either an outdoor mouse that somehow got in, then out again, or he lived in our landlords' adjoining house and took a vacation to our apartment. If I were him, I'd stick with the landlords' house--it's much bigger, and there are fewer cats. If we happen to find Despereaux again (via Tillamook), I'm sure it will make for an interesting blog post.

And, isn't that commercial just terrible??? (In a wonderful sort of way). Still can't watch it.

Thanks for stopping by! Glad to have you here :)

Shannon said...

Dear Cindy,
I was quite, as the kiwis say, "chuffed" (a word that here means pleased as punch) when I realised that you and Kip have...
a Cheshire cat!

get it?
haha! :) very clever of me, huh?
hugs!
-Shannon