22 January 2010

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Sounds



This week's theme, Sounds, is courtesy of one of my favorite blog friends, NanU, who lives in France being all academic. She's basically living my dream, just exchange Biblical and Theological academia for science. Check out her blog and her excellent interpretation of her theme here.

Sounds in Juneau are surreal...often because of their absence:

A walk by the Inside Passage will sometimes grant you the sound of the waves lapping against the rocky beach. If you're lucky, you might hear (and see) some whales breaching or spouting, like I did yesterday!


Lately we've been hearing the crunch crunch of studded and chained tires on snow and pavement

We've also been hearing a lot of rustling and general mischief happening around the apartment with our kitten, whose name has been withheld until now...


Meet Tillamook!
Yes, he is named after a brand of cheese, mostly because he kept begging us for it with those big kitten eyes. He makes all sorts of fun sounds while he's playing, and he also purrs incessantly. He sounds like a very content cat, especially around four in the morning.


The slide of a sled and the giggle of its occupants often sounds outside


And then, when it snows, sometimes you can't hear anything but the soft, white flakes falling on top of each other


silence

15 comments:

NanU said...

Tillamook is so cute! and there's Amok in his name (amuck, berserk, demoniac, demoniacal, possessed...)! Fabulous choice.

You know, it's one of my dreams to tour Alaska some day, with its majestic outdoors and whales and snow snow snow. If it ever happens I'll be sure to stop by your bookstore!

Simply Heather said...

I enjoyed this visit. Oh, to live in Alaska :)

Chef E said...

We used to disturb icicles when we were younger and did not know any better, and now I saw them on cliffs on my drive back from my son's...I am in awe of them, the make thunderous noises...love the kitty!

Queenmothermamaw said...

So the kitty is so cute. Great photographs too. Winter is beautiful with the snow, ugly with the mud puddles and grey skies.
QMM

A Scattering said...

Oh, sweet kitty Tillamook. Try to remember this when Tillamook takes to playing with noisy things at 5am...... No end to the fun! Have a great weekend.

J9 said...

Tillamook is an adorable cat, and a very cute name too!

Barry said...

I love your playful kitten and your "Sound of Silence" photo is a classic. Excellent.

GingerV said...

oh yes the silence of all sound obsorbed by snow - one of the best sounds. I ONCE waled on snow shoes through a forest deep with snow, the swoosh swoosh of the shoes with the sound of snow falling off branches - I will remember it forever - I hope I remember it forever.

GingerV said...

forgot - love the photo of the snow and ice on the fence.... wonderful

Jen said...

I love your kitty's name! So cute - and I love your photos.

I desperately want to visit Alaska...I am so jealous you get to live there! LOL! :)

Doreen said...

so many favs! beautiful area you live in. stunning shots.

hrobins said...

Great cat name! He's so cute! They are so curious as kittens. It's really cliche nowadays, but you really should get him a laser pointer. We're talking about hours of entertainment here, for you AND the cat. ;-) Beautiful photos, as always, love.

shabby girl said...

Some really beautiful shots. I could spend hours looking at the last two!
Oh, mischievous kitty!

SOL said...

Very nice shots. My favorite is Tillamook peaking out of the trashcan--too cute!

Cat said...

Excellent Shots Cindy!!!
I enjoyed that strolling with you...