08 January 2010

Friday Photo Shoot-Out Is Back! With Fences!

Many apologies for my absence from the MTFPSO for a few weeks there. The joys of working my first retail Christmas meant that I had no time for anything else. I love Christmas, but I'm glad the retail side of it is over. I'm happy to be back and participating in this week's Shoot-Out on Fences, chosen by Sandra Leigh from Vancouver Island.

The beginning of the week, when I was working, was absolutely gorgeous. Sunny (mid) days, a little snow....until (of course) my days off on Wednesday and Thursday. It's still too dark for most of the day to shoot before or after work, and it was so soggy on my days off that I couldn't risk the camera to take new photos, so here are a few old ones of fences in Juneau.


Juneau is fenced in by the Gastineau Channel on one side...
(Here, we're also literally fenced into the boardwalk, away from the channel and its freezing waters. People never swim in it, although they do kayak on it, and there are some adorable harbor seals that stare up at you with huge, dark eyes. Every once in awhile, some intrepid whales make the swim into the channel's waters during a high tide. They tend to cause accidents on parallel roads. Not so good.)


...and huge mountains on the other.


Then of course we have our regular fences.



Not a terribly prolific post this week, but I'm looking forward to getting back in the swing of shooting during the week. It's getting brighter every day, and I'm just itching to work on photos with the new editing software my parents got me for Christmas. The software is fabulous and also incredibly complex, so it's taking me awhile to really grasp it. Next week should see some improvement!

For more information about the Shoot-Out gang, visit the blog here.

21 comments:

GingerV said...

first important question - what software and will you give us your take on it after learning it (from it?)
I like the metaphor of 'fenced in by' this was a good take on the topic.
when do we get photos of the big eyed seals?
have a great weekend - hugs from Brasil.... temps in Rio will be 96f today.... ugh

Bagman and Butler said...

Nice observation that mountains are fences! I think your post was more prolific than you thought.

~JarieLyn~ said...

I agree with Mark and like Ginger, I want to know what software. I really like the last photo. It is so quaint.

Sarah said...

Oh I especially liked the last one..something very right about the one slat being sideways. Wonderful shootout! Sarah

Kerry said...

Welcome back! Very nice shots, and I also like the last one.

Barry said...

Its quality not quantity that counts Cindy and your pictures captured some wonderful images.

Good to have you back!

Barry & Linda

Kim said...

Nicely done post, I loved the juxtaposition of man made and God made fences.

When I saw the reference to Juneau I thought of the book I'm reading right now..."Going Rogue"...Alaska is on my list for places to visit.

Chef E said...

I like them all as well as your observations, but the last one speaks to me...it steps aside to let one pass...

Cindy said...

GingerV,

Thanks for your comments! Since I work on a Mac, I asked for and received the Aperture software by Apple. It has greater photo editing power than regular iPhoto, and also has an intense system of organization, which is what's taking me so much time to get used to. I'll do a review on it and post it soon.

I'll try to get a photo of the harbor seals...they're adorable, but they're shy! Enjoy your warm weekend in Brasil, it's rainy and 42 here, yuck!

Cindy said...

Kim,

Enjoy Palin's book, but don't believe what she says about Juneau! I haven't read it myself, but I've heard she talks about how it's so corrupt and terrible. It's not!! It's lovely! Come visit! And bring your raingear; Southeast Alaska is wet all year round :)

Cindy said...

Thanks for your comments and encouragements, everyone! I'm glad to be back in the gang :)

Gordon said...

The last shot seemed to say, "There's always one in every crowd!" Nice to see you again.

SOL said...

I love that last shot with the one wonky post. It's quirky and cool.

J9 said...

The red fence with the green grass in that final shot, is just calling to me!

Doreen said...

great series of fences. the last one is a fav for me. have a wonderful weekend!!

Pauline said...

Cindy, I'm so glad you explored the metaphoric fences. I thought about it and couldn't get it to work. Well done!! Love that last photo, beautiful in its simplicity.

A Scattering said...

Oh, the little red fence looks like it should be in a children's story. Have a great week!

Robyn :) said...

I love the red fence and the description of the channels :)

Jen said...

oh wow - LOVE those last two shots.

Allegra Posts for Rose said...

love this post and the pictures of the fences. And the mountains too. Don't underestimate your post. Loved it.

Cat said...

great pics...loven' the last one!