04 December 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: A Few of My Favorite Things

I'm back and rearing to do another My Town Friday Photo Shoot-Out! This week's theme was "A Few of My Favorite Things". I always try to work in a few favorite things in every post, so I tried to include some things here I haven't included before! Unfortunately none of the photos were taken this week because that pesky little orb called the Sun hasn't shown its luminous face in about.....two weeks. It's not that it hasn't shown up, it just tends to be hidden behind thick clouds and graces us with its presence very briefly. So brief, in fact, that when I go to work at the bookstore it is dark. When I leave, it is dark. Not a lot of time for photographing. I'm looking forward to forcing myself out into the elements this weekend to shoot some photos in the twilight, though!

For more information on the MTFPSO gang and information on how to join, visit their blog here.



My Favorite New Extracurricular Activity
The US Coast Guard Auxiliary is very active in Juneau, and Kip and I are now officially members! They provide boating safety lessons, help the Coasties where they need it (I really want to train to be a watch stander), and set up life jacket stations near popular boating areas.


My Favorite Place to Eat and Photograph Simultaneously
The Sandpiper Cafe. So good for the artists' tummy and talent.


My Favorite Public Art to Giggle At
Please look up "Weird Al Yankovic Juneau Mural" on YouTube. You will giggle, too.


My Favorite Sign
It points the way to the Russian Orthodox Church on Fifth Street.
I kind of want to steal it, but I'm pretty sure that's a double sin.


My Favorite Thing that God Made that Hangs in the Sky
I really miss the Sun. I'm going to post on it soon.


My Favorite Thing to Eat in Juneau...
...even if I'm clearly grossed out by holding it after I catch it.


My Favorite Alaskan Mode of Transportation
There are two runways at the Juneau airport--a paved one and a water one for prop planes like this going to and from the Bush and other Southeast Alaskan communities.
They make me nauseous like nothing else, but there's a sense of adventure on them that you really don't get on a 747.

20 comments:

Chef E said...

I love seeing a peak into Alaska! I love fishing too, and am curious about foods available there...

NanU said...

Excellent Shootout! A snatch of true Alaskan life.
I'm not quite so far north, but I certainly share your frustration at it being dark when I go to work and dark again when I leave it. Viva la weekend!

Gordon said...

You live in a "beautiful adventure." Thanks for another Alaska fix.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on becoming an auxiliary member of the US Coast Guard. I'm sure this will open up more photo and blogging opportunities - can't wait. gilmorelady

GingerV said...

I can hold a fish up by its body but to put fingures in the gills or (EEEK!) through the eyes - is another complete story.
a day that is dark to dark is not an easy one. hang christmas tree lights around your window inside and put them on all winter long, the red/green/blue and yellow will cheer your evening.
good post.

Linda said...

Your pictures are so beautiful and we love that you are working with the Coast Guard. those float planes look like the ultimate coaster ride! Thank you for sharing these, Cindy.

Enjoy the coming season, Barry and Linda

Rebecca said...

Great post! Alaska looks wonderful.

kate said...

I feel like I haven't seen the sun in weeks, either! It's dark when I get to work and it's already dark again when I go home...it just makes me tired all of the time :) Is there seriously a Weird Al Yankovich mural?? That's too funny.

Kerry said...

Great shoot-out of your Alaskan life! Light a few candles and enjoy that salmon.

Doreen said...

love the pics of Alaska. what a cool place to live. great shoot out!!

Pauline said...

I love the peeks you give us of life in Alaska. So vastly different from my life, it seems wildly romantic. Love your favourite sign!!

Sarah said...

I just love seeing places like this!! A place I have always wanted to visit..my DH wants to live there!! Wonderful fun favorites..of soo Youtube...giggle..:)Sarah

Simply Heather said...

Oh Miss Alaska :) - Love learning of your area!

A Scattering said...

Thanks for the visit to Alaska - your "this is yucky" fish photo is too funny, love it!

~JarieLyn~ said...

I really like your photo of the chalkboard inside the Sandpiper Cafe. Great variety of favorite things.

Cindy said...

To All My Lovely Commenters:

You made my day. :)
Thanks for all your encouragement and comments! I love living in Alaska if only because I get to photograph it and show it to you fine folks!

Have a great weekend!

Ann said...

Do you watch Boston Legal? There was a certain series where Alan and Danny wanted to be Coast Guards.

Now in Malaysia, though a Muslim country, shops have Christmas trees, More for commercial reasons.

REDLAN said...

Thanks for sharing your favorite things. I agree they are your favorites as I look at the photos.

Columbo said...

The picture of you with the fish is adorable and full of lol.

Cindy said...

Hehe thanks, Columbo. I had been talking smack all day about catching a fish and then when I finally did, the prospect of putting my fingers in its gills was disgusting. The captain of the boat was quite amused.