26 October 2009

Pumpkin Carving Pros and Cons

A few weeks ago, Kip and I embarked on that most beloved of Autumn traditions: pumpkin carving. Afterwards, as the apartment smelled like pumpkin flesh and seeds sat toasting in the oven, I realized that this is probably up in the five weirdest holiday traditions of all time (right up there with lugging foliage into our houses to celebrate the birth of a Middle Eastern Messiah). I was left with the burning question:

Who on earth first looked at a pumpkin and went,
"Gee, that'd look great with a face carved into it!"?

At best, it's a hokey tradition; at worst, a creepy display that's eerily close to shrunken heads. And I still don't have an answer. I'm going to have to file it away with other questions like, "Who was the first desperate soul to have a go at cow's milk straight from the udder?"


Pumpkin Carving Pro: It was a fun afternoon of enjoyment
Pumpkin Carving Con: We looked like vegetable murderers

Pumpkin Carving Pro: I tried not to waste anything and toasted the pumpkin seeds.
Pumpkin Carving Con #1: They're nothing more than pumpkin guts.
Pumpkin Carving Con #2: We haven't even eaten them yet.
Pumpkin Carving Con #3: Maybe it's because of Pumpkin Carving Con #1.


Pumpkin Carving Pro: We carved a pumpkin for our faithful fish, Sparky. It's a self portrait, including his favorite plant and pebble.
Pumpkin Carving Con: We're not sure he could really appreciate it.


Pumpkin Carving Pro/Con: Kip made his pumpkin to look like my dad, complete with raised eyebrow and moustache. I'm not sure why.


Pumpkin Carving Pro: I made mine to look a little silly...
Pumpkin Carving Con: ...no cons, I really like mine :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Traditions, aren't they glorious. Love your pumpkins, especially Sparky's. Your's says Cindy, I love it. The "Dad" one, very scarry - great. They will all look great with candles in them.

So tell us, how did the tradition of lugging foliage into our homes begin????? gilmorelady