16 October 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Sunrises and Sunsets

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the My Town Friday Photo Shoot Out, a project begun to get bloggers out into their communities and showing them off to each other. For more information about this project and how to join it, visit the "Friday Shoot Out Gang's" blog here.

This week's theme was "Sunrises/Sunsets". Here in Juneau, we have an interesting relationship with the sun. For half of the year it's our incessant pal, always present (albeit hidden behind a curtain of clouds like the Wizard in "The Wizard of Oz"), swooping just below the horizon for only a few hours each early morning. For the other half of the year it's a scorned lover, barely showing its face and even then, just peeking above the mountains to remind us it's there. We worship its rare presence the entire year 'round, skipping work and class when it peeks out from behind the clouds in summer and doing the same when it briefly shows its face in winter.


A view from the grass of the sunset reflecting off Mt. Roberts



Walking to the high school during the 8am sunrise.



The sunrise shone through my steaming windows and I couldn't resist this photo

And when the sun doesn't shine, we make it---by taking superfluous amounts of Vitamin D!
This is Kip's and my favorite type: Vitamin D in gummy form. Why take a pill when you can have a gummy? It even mentions sun right in the title!!

Now you all go enjoy your places of residence where the sun shines for a normal amount of time!

14 comments:

Carrie said...

Cool shots, Cindy! I take Vitamin D drops to get my dose of sunshine, too! I really like the sun through the fence and the window shot is cool.

kate said...

I love the shot of the sun through the fence - so pretty! I need to track down some gummy vitamins - we haven't seen the sun around here in, like, two weeks!

~JarieLyn~ said...

Cindy, the shot of the sun coming throught the fence is awesome. I also like your window writing. I have cousins who live in Alaska, but I haven't seen them in years.

Pauline said...

I also love the sun shining through the fence palings. And thanks for reminding me to give thanks for the generous amounts of sunshine I enjoy in my daily life. Keep up those Sunny Gummies, I'm a firm believer in Vitamin D.

Chef E said...

I love it all, and the addition of the vitamins are very clever!

Denise said...

can't imagine no sun. I have terrible SAD and it is fairly sunny here in the winter. Vit D definitely helps.

Linda said...

The writing on the window added to the natural beauty of all the other shots. I love the sun peeking through the pickets too. Beautiful choices Cindy. Thank you for sharing them.

Sherri said...

Very cool response to this week's photo theme. I really love the window shot.

Doreen said...

love the sun shinning through the fence. awesome! have a great week!!

Jen said...

Oh, I love that fence one! Superb!

GigiSxm said...

So are you in the scorned lover stage or wizard of Oz stage?
Great shots my favorite is the one with the fence

J9 said...

Sunny Gummies - AWESOME!

A Cuban In London said...

Amazing shots! And to think that the Alaskan landscape is so rich and beautiful. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Cindy said...

We're right in the middle, GigiSxm. The sun comes up around eight and sets around five right now, and doesn't get too high in the sky. It perpetually feels like either sunrise or sunset, so I'm always either feeling revved up for the day or winding down from it. It's actually pretty nice!