02 October 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: A Photo Study of a Building

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the My Town Friday Photo Shoot-Out, a project begun to get bloggers out into their communities and showing them off to each other. I figure there is no greater way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska!

This week's theme was suggested by none other than the people behind the madness, the My Town Friday Photo Shoot-Out team. Check out the central blog here for a full list of participants as well as instructions on how to get involved yourself!


For my photo study of a building, I chose the Ice Castle at the community park at Twin Lakes. Years ago, before either Kip or I were in Juneau, the community got together to build what I consider to be the best playground in the history of playgrounds.
Seriously.
It has an ice castle.
What playground is better than that?
Not having any knowledge of or experience with photo studies, I played this one by ear, choosing to shoot my subject at different points during the day. I hoped to find the different moods evoked at different times by this stately building. I have my own opinions about how the project worked (coughcoughutterfailurecoughcough), but I'll leave the photos captionless this week so that you can experience the Ice Castle yourself.

Enjoy!








(I know I promised no captions, but I highly suggest clicking on this one to enlarge it!)

See you next week with some silhouettes!

21 comments:

Simply Heather said...

I love the reflection shots and the one at the view of you resting, with feets in it :)

Yes, enlarged - the last one is a must see.

Beautiful.

Doreen said...

you are right, enlarge the last one! what a beautiful area! all great shots. have a wonderful weekend!

~JarieLyn~ said...

Very cool. All of your shots are wonderful and that last photo is gorgeous.

Chef E said...

Wow what a great play ground...reminds me of a few I visited as a child and my imagination ran wild... Oh, and let the captions roll, I do :)

Chef E said...

Wow what a great play ground...reminds me of a few I visited as a child and my imagination ran wild... Oh, and let the captions roll, I do :)

Barry said...

What a great idea for a building!

And thanks for the caption, the last photo was much more impressive blown up, both romantic and dramatic.

Pauline said...

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a playground like that. And your photos seem playful, too. Clever girl! Thanks for the tip about the last photo!

Mary said...

Great perspectives. I think you played the game very well.

Carrie said...

Definitely not a failure, don't be so hard on yourself! I like the reflection shots, also. I love unique playground areas.

Linda said...

I love your Ice Castle. What a gorgeous setting for a castle. Your angles really highlight the details and workmanship in the gables and around the eaves. Thanks for sharing.

Gordon said...

Cindy, you chose a beautiful building. I doesn't seem Alaskaesque to me, though. I guess when I go I stay on the river, too much. The last shot was fabulous.

Sarah Lulu said...

Beautiful beautiful .....I am really hoping to visit Alaska ..

GigiSxm said...

oh cool ice castle/playground

GingerV said...

I found this delightful, the last shot beautiful - seems maybe not just children enjoy this builiding.

Cindy said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I could've chosen the Governor's Mansion or an abandoned gold mine or something more Alaska-y, but I'm glad I chose something a bit more everyday. Kids need to play everywhere, right?

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Jen said...

These are just stunning.

That last one - breathtaking. Wow - you set a standard here!

NanU said...

Nice! Especially the reflection, and the last one!

Denise said...

love the last one - gorgeous shot!

J9 said...

You were right - that final shot is spectacular!

Ellisa said...

love 'em! And it looks like a place my boys would LOVE to play!

Windie said...

Thank you for letting me travel through your pictures. Pray that I find my Kip (My special someone that is). Please check out my blog and let me know what you think.