23 October 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Childhood Classics

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the My Town Friday Photo Shoot-Out, a project begun to get bloggers out into their communities and showing them off to each other. If you want more details about this fun project, or if you want to join, check out the MTFPSO gang's blog here! As for me, I figure there's no better way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska!


This week's theme, chosen by Ellisa was Childhood Classics. I got the memo about it being memories from your childhood/things you want your children to remember too late, so here are photos with that interpretation and from my own. In retrospect, knowing that I should have been shooting photos of things I wanted my children to remember about Juneau would have been helpful in averting strange "Why are you lurking at the edge of the playground photographing my children?" looks from parents afraid I was a pedophile.


Oh, Converse, you are the symbol of childhood for many. I set mine and Kip's next to each other on the dock at Twin Lakes for this photo.


Two classics of childhood in one photo: field trips and utter fascination with bad-smelling things. I woke up one morning this week to find a field trip of elementary schoolers in our neighbor's backyard learning about compost. I knew the teacher had opened the lid to the pile when I heard a chorus of "EEEeeeeeeeeeewwwww..........I WANNA SMELL IT!!"s.


What is more classic to North American childhood than a playground?


This pile of coats brought back so many memories.


"Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow?" This garden beneath the statue of the BVM outside the Catholic cathedral downtown has seen better days, but in the summer it's positively dripping with color!


Kip and I don't have any kids, but we do have an adorable three-month-old niece, Alli. If Alli were to come to Juneau to visit, here's what I would want her to remember:


I would want her to remember its nautical-ness. I've never lived so close to a major body of water before, so I'd want her to remember seeing barnacles underneath the docks and the gray-blue color of glacier runoff water. I would not, however, want her to remember falling into aforementioned water. It's really cold.


I would want her to remember how scenic Juneau is; how a walk through a graveyard like this isn't scary, it's just beautiful and peaceful and quiet.

I would want her to remember that Juneau is in the middle of the Tongass National Rainforest, so when she learns about climates in school, she can say she's been in a rainforest!


I would want her to remember the loving and warm people you find between snowdrifts here, like these friends who got together to celebrate Oktoberfest at our church.

And I would want Alli to remember how big Juneau is. Montana might have a big sky, but Juneau has big everything else--waterways, clouds, mountains....

17 comments:

Carrie said...

That is so funny about the kids wanting to smell the compost. That is a totally kid thing. Funny.

Pauline said...

Cindy, I think that is a simply wonderful interpretation of the theme. Don't change a thing! Love the pile of coats!

Linda said...

This post has classic written all over it. Leave your coat in the playground and come home smelling like manure. And we love the little darlings because..... ?
Great post today, Cindy. Thank you.

Sarah Lulu said...

Living in Australia I have never seen piles of coats like that!

~JarieLyn~ said...

Cindy I love the converse shoes. That's a great photo. Funny story about the kids.

Cindy said...

Thanks, Pauline and Linda. I might add some more photos but I will do so with full confidence in the original post thanks to you lovely ladies :)

Denise said...

kids are so funny. If only I could remember all the "classic lines" my boys articulated.

NanU said...

Ah, to live in Alaska!
That last photo is stunning.

Heather said...

The shoe shot had me guessing as to what I was seeing, with the first glance and then - I just lingered. It holds so many stories in this one little photo.

The coats...oh, yes...piles of coats. Can't keep them on my children either :)

GingerV said...

jeez your area is beautiful. I have read about your rainforest and have it on my list of must sees.

why do people think about pedifiles all the time, I snap shots of children all the time, if I could I lift them up for a hug.... but alas I don't not wanting to frighten the mothers or the children, but what a loss to all of us.

Ellisa said...

Great pics!!!!! Love the shoes. Love the feel of love in the picture from church. And the last pic is gorgeous!!

SOL said...

I love the Converse shot. Your post has a poetic quality!

Jen said...

ROFL - you did such a great job with this one. I felt like I was looking through the eyes of a child. I loved it!

J9 said...

These are great shots, and remind me of my kids too!

Cat said...

Lovely really lovely...the remembering stuff really got to me...the simple things are so beautiful...
and the kids, great shots of the kids. I grew up Northern B.C. so the big jackets and boots for function not fashion were the way of life...but when play time came..the jackets woudl always go...just too hot!!!
Thanks for stirring the memories, I like to visit them now and again....

Cindy said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. This was a fun shoot-out to do!

Chef E said...

I miss my kids since they have grown up and gone... we loved to explore many places...