25 September 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: My Favorite Place To _________

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the My Town Friday Photo Shoot-Out, a project begun to get bloggers out into their communities and showing them off to each other. I figure there is no better way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska!

This week's theme, "My Favorite Place To _____" was chosen by me! Every week, we see the cultural and community highlights of each other's hometowns, but I wanted to see what everyone loves so much about their town---what makes it home. What makes it theirs.

Here's what makes my town my home:

My Favorite Place to Eat:

The Sandpiper Cafe!

You can see the Governor's Mansion from the front window

It's quaint, it's small, and it makes the best pancakes this side of the Rockies!

...it also makes some more exotic fare. Elk burgers anyone?

My Favorite Place to Find Simple Beauty:

...the cemetery down the street has such simple beauty. This grave marker attests to Alaskan Christianity's Eastern Orthodox traditions--note the extra wood pieces above and below the main cross point. These are the marks of the Orthodox cross.

My Favorite Places to Enjoy Juneau's Maritime Tradition:

Norway Point
...and Auke Bay

My Favorite Place to Marvel at Alaskan Beauty:

...the highway!

...and staring into the sideview mirror (while Kip drives, of course!)

My Favorite Place to Feel Autumnal:


My Favorite Place to Eat Seafood:


My Favorite Place to Feel Small:

...the top of Mt. Roberts

...it's also my favorite place to shoot way too many photos of the meadows.

In thinking about all my favorite places in Alaska and shooting them, often with Kip by my side, it also became even more obvious and clear to me that my favorite place in the entire world is...with him. And, to taunt you with one more of the wedding pictures that I can't seem to upload (I keep getting a page error...working on it), here's some pictoral proof.
Even in the midst of all our friends and family running around in celebration of us, we still stood in the middle of the dance floor at our wedding, giggling at the sheer joy of it all.
My Favorite Place to Be....Period.

20 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

I just loved all of your favorite places. I like the cemetery shot. It is simple beauty, isn't it? Very nice.

Simply Heather said...

Wonderful, crisp and fresh shots you've shared here. I agree with the simple beauty in the cemeteries...there, one can feel a peaceful calm.

Happy Friday :)

GingerV said...

UMMM homemade pancakes (made in a restaurant so they clean up!) the best.

cemetaries are beautiful but I like the most your photos of medows high above the world.

Barry said...

Thanks for a theme that gave us room to breathe and be creative. It was as expansive as, well, Alaska!

Loved seeing all your favorite places.

J9 said...

Great theme this week! And I love your shots. My folks just got back from an Alaskan cruise, and LOVED Alaska. I can see why. And Thanks for the Orthodox cross lesson - I had no idea!

Cindy said...

Thanks everyone for your comments and compliments!

GingerV, you'll have to send me some of your homemade pancakes, because mine have a propensity for tasting like cardboard. The Sandpiper's melt in your mouth! Mmmmm. I suppose that will have to do until I can produce a perfect pancake.

Bagman and Butler said...

I do love the favorite place to feel small shots. You are right that we've gone existential with this one. Very nice choice of a theme and you've done it masterfully!

Cindy said...

Oh, I'm blushing, B&B!

gigi said...

Great subject you picked this week. I enjoyed it and have enjoyed looking at others favorite things.
You are so cute dancing in the arms of your sweetheart.
Happy weekend.

JOE TODD said...

Thanks for sharing your photos. How do you get to participate in this memme

Sarah Lulu said...

Elk, antelope and ostrich!!!!!!!

Alaska is on my wish list ....I would love love to visit but I don't think I'll be eating any of those.

Such a beautiful place you live.

Congratulations on your wedding..would love to see more photos. xxx

Becky said...

Fun pictures! I'm curious, why does the cross have the extra bars? Is it just tradition or does it have a more specific historical/biblical reason?

Love, Becky Noyes

Jama said...

What a beautiful place, I just love that shot of the mountains around, can really make us feel small!

shabby girl said...

I love that meadow shot!!! Actually, I'm crazy about Alaska! It's my dream place...one day, one day...
This was a great theme!

Patty said...

Lovely theme you provided us with this week. I like themes that give people room to think and expand. Sorry I am a little late. I do try!

Beautiful photos. I loved them all and you had quite a variety to share with us. I agree with everyone that the cemetery was indeed a reflective photo.

I look forward to seeing more of your photos.

But do tell? Where do you keep your Alaskan ostrich?

SOL said...

Thanks for the wonderful topic--there were some really wonderful photos generated from this topic! I love the rearview mirror shot!

hrobins said...

CINDY! Your pictures make my heart melt. I love you.

Jen said...

Love it!!!

I especially love the feeling small photo and your wedding photo.

Beautiful...one day I am going to go to Alaska. I am.

Jen said...

p.s. EXCELLENT theme!

Chef E said...

Great post...I am trying to make sure you are on our list, since I just got back from a trip and am playing catch up! What is the town you live in? E