18 September 2009

*Updated* Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Domestic Animals

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the My Town Friday Photo Shoot Out, a project begun to get bloggers out into their communities and showing them off to each other. I figure there's no better way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska!

This week's theme was Domestic Animals, suggested by Sandy at Flying WG!

Admittedly, this wasn't my strongest week with the MTFPSO. I'm blaming it half on the fact that I never grew up with any pets (except for a few doomed fish) and therefore don't notice them very often, and half on the fact that Juneau is relatively hydrogenous when it comes to domestic animals--there are some dogs and cats, but there's no room for more interesting domestic animals like sheep or emu or horses. So here's my attempt:

Attempt #1: Bears here are (obviously) wild, but this one has been domesticated in true Alaskan fashion. He hangs on the wall of the Mt. Roberts Tram restaurant, 1800 feet above the rest of Juneau. Some might think this a tasteful display of man versus nature, but I think it's sort of (pun alert!) grizzly. Get it? No? Too bad of a pun? Teehee.

I found a park named after some domestic animals that one sees more often in farm country--chickens! I have no idea what a nun has to do with them, however.

While I was lurking in some spent Fireweed bushes (post forthcoming), a woman walked by with her dog...

...and then a man...

...and then they eventually hung out and talked on the street, their K-9 companions making K-9y small talk while their owners did the same. I wonder what they were talking about:
"Gosh, I love these morning walks, don't you?"
"Eh, it's a little chilly for me"
"Oh you, just wait until October when it starts snowing..."

See you next week!

11 comments:

NanU said...

Love that chicken yard park, but the poor bear!
Your header is fabulous, by the way!

~JarieLyn~ said...

You can definitely say the bear has been domesticated. Great photos.

Doreen said...

the chicken yard park is interesting. nice pics all! have a wonderful weekend.

Pauline said...

Love the chickens! It's always lovely to see a pet at it master's heel!

Sarah Lulu said...

That bear skin looks pretty scary!

GingerV said...

chicken yard park, needs no other words.

Linda said...

Your pictures look so beautiful. Alaska is lovely. Thank you for the tour around town. The dog looks happy cruising the main street. =D

Carrie said...

The chicken yard park is great! A bear was shot across the street from our school yesterday. Yikes.

A Scattering said...

I love the humour (the bear) and the community (the folks with their dogs) of your blog. Welcome to the Friday gang!

shabby girl said...

Very clever photos! I wonder if there is a park website that explains the nun???

Patty said...

Chicken Yard Park looks interesting? Is is a park for chickens?

Nice photos. Welcome to our little "gang' of shooters.