11 September 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Aged and Weathered

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the My Town Friday Photo Shoot-Out, a project started to get bloggers out into their communities and showing them off to each other. I figure there's no better way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska!


I thought this theme would have been a piece of cake, but it was actually kind of difficult! Juneau is chock-full of aged and weathered things--driftwood, sea shanties, fishermen...but I had a hard time finding individual things to take pictures of. I was tempted to just take a photo of the entire city and post it. It is, afterall, a fishing town--not as much as Yakutat, perhaps, but fishing is still a big part of the economy. That, and I had a cold earlier in the week and it rained ridiculous amounts so going out to shoot with our brand new camera was a bad idea. In spite of this, I present you the following:

The Chapel at the Shrine of St. Therese, which I've included in earlier MTFPSOs before, is indeed aged (built in the 1920s) and weathered. The beach rocks that it was built with are fine, but the mortar between them is crumbling and it needs a huge overhaul. It's one of Kip's and y favorite places in Juneau, and we made a donation to the preservation of this building in lieu of a wedding favor to our guests. If you're interested in helping preserve this beautiful building, check out www.shrineofsttherese.com

The Box, our trusty mode of transportation, is 12 years old and showing it. Most cars in Juneau sport the "Juneau Body"--rusted! Blame it on living in a temperate rainforest.

...even the electrical signs aren't safe.

These plants must be aged, and the door's wood was more weathered-looking in real life.

The Fireweed that was once positively fuscia has now aged past its peak, waiting for winter snows to set in. It's a remnant of the beautiful summer we had.

Not a "my town" shot, but I still think some of you will appreciate it--a wedding photo! Austyn grabbed a weathered piece of wood and put our rings on this aging train track to take this photo. I'm going to follow up in the next few days with a post of wedding photos so friends who couldn't make it and friends in blogland who have been wanting to see them can do so!

15 comments:

GingerV said...

the shrine building is really beautiful, would make a nice house.
good for your for contributing to its repair fund. '

Hugs, ginger

Doreen said...

I didn't realize that Juneau was a rainforest. never too old to learn. love your choices for the shoot out. have a great weekend!!

Simply Heather said...

I love the simplicity of that last shot! :)

Gordon said...

I've never seen Fireweed gone to seed. The wedding ring shot was very creative. I'm still jealous of where you live, until the winter snows begin.

A Scattering said...

Wonderful shots. I'm also partial to the ring shot - beautiful.

Sarah Lulu said...

Oh that photo of the chapel ...when I clicked on it to enlarge is GLORIOUS!!

Kerry said...

You know, your jeep looks pretty darned good. Better than that electrical sign!

Pauline said...

I think some of the loveliest shots I've seen this week have been of dead plants. That fireweed (a plant I've never seen before) could not look more beautiful to me! Loved all your photos!

J9 said...

Loved the electrical sign because it's something most people would walk right on by, but you've turned it into a point of interest.

Carrie said...

I love the church built out of beach rocks. What a neat idea to donate to its preservation rather than give favors. Money well spent!

The shot of your shiny, new wedding rings against the aged & weathered train track is beautiful.

Ann said...

poor fuscia, once passed it's peak, no one bets an eye.

No so nice to be a flower.

Your husband has a sense of humor, the log of wood and the wedding rings.

Linda said...

The shrine building is so picturesque. It would be lovely to see a comparable photo with snow all around. Your photo of your wedding rigs made me think that would be a neat meme, to post peoples rings and a short story that goes with them. Very nice shoot out. Thanks for the thoughtful photos.

Cindy said...

Thanks everyone for your comments! It's always nice to hear good feedback from a post. I have to give credit where credit's due, however--the photo of our rings is fantastic, not because of my eye, but because it was taken by our amazing photographer, Austyn Elizabeth Ford. I guess I didn't intimate that very well in the post.

Check out her website at www.austynelizabeth.com!

Barry said...

I've seen the Chapel at the Shrine of St. Therese in your post before, but it is still both beautiful and peaceful and I loved seeing it again.

Cindy said...

You caught me, Barry! Yes, I cheated and put it up again, but I actually did think of you and how much you liked it!