14 August 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Relaxation

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the Friday Photo Shoot-Out, a project started to get bloggers into their communities and showing them off to each other. I figure there is no greater way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska! This week I finally came home after a full month away due to a family medical emergency and Kip's and my wedding. So the theme this week, suggested by Lena at Spirits of Lena in New Jersey, was rather fitting---relaxation. Don't I need, it Lena!!!

I know, I know. "But Cindy, that is not you kayaking next to a glacier. Nor is it your husband. What gives?" This is one Father Thomas Weise, our priest in Juneau. Kip and I flew him to New Hampshire for our wedding because he was the only of the three clergy involved who knew both of us and also because he's generally awesome. Why is he my first picture for the theme of relaxation? Because he relaxed me more than anyone else after the wedding rehearsal a week ago. I was SO stressed, and he walked over to me without a sound, made the sign of the cross on my forehead, and then forced me to pat different parts of my face in a stress-release technique that basically saved my sanity that night. Here's to you, Father Thomas!

This photo is the epitome of relaxation: it contains Kip, the person who consistently relaxes me most in the world; my fish Sparky (being held by Kip), who has been scientifically proven to be relaxing according to the scientists who said that fish owners have lower blood pressure than other pet owners; and it also showcases the Capital City Bed and Breakfast, which looks like a wonderful place to relax and which Kip and I would love to go to some day.

Some people in Juneau take a flight over the Inside Passage to relax. Personally, I prefer other modes of transportation.

I take drives to relax sometimes! I took this photo with our new camera while driving (rather, while passenger-ing) through the tunnel in Boston on the way to the airport. The blurry effect is less about Kip's quality of driving and more about shutter speed.

My parents' home in New Hampshire is their incarnation of relaxation. It's a place for the now very spread out family to meet and enjoy each other's company away from it all.

Kip doesn't need a house. He gets really relaxed after taking our favorite Vitamin D gummies. Seriously, these things are sunshine in all-natural, lemony goodness form. If you live in a dark climate like we do, please, for the good of humanity, TAKE THESE!!!

He also apparently gets super relaxed on plane flights.

...or maybe it was all the relaxation he experienced from reading the newspaper and indulging in tasty food in our upgrade to First Class. Oh, the perks of being newlyweds....

Our tasty breakfast at the airport hotel was relaxing, since it looked over the skyline of Boston.


So there you have it. This week was more of a "My Life Friday Photo Shoot-Out" than a "My Town Friday Photo Shoot-Out", but I promise next week I'll go back to a more Juneau-centered post. I also want to apologize for not posting for the past two weeks; with wedding stress and limited internet access, the MTFPSO got bumped to the backseat, but I'm looking forward to getting back out into Juneau (and with our new camera!) to shoot for next week's theme, "Interesting and Amusing Signs in Your Area". This'll be good.....

12 comments:

Sandra Leigh said...

Thank you for taking time from what must have been a very hectic week to post about - of all things - relaxation! When you've settled in at home, maybe you'll pass that face-patting technique on to us. Meanwhile, congratulations to you and Kip, and best wishes for your life together.

Melissa said...

wow, i loved ur pics!

sciencegirl said...

Loved your post, especially Father Thomas and the glacier.

Doreen said...

Kip really knows how to relax!! :-) I just love that tunnel shot! and the mountains, how cool to live in a place with that view. Great shoot out Cindy!!

J9 said...

I like the shots of Kip asleep! My fav is the hotel and Boston skyline!

Ellisa said...

great pics. I too would love to hear more about that face-patting stuff.

hrobins said...

Father Thomas is awesome. His dancing at the reception was absolutely priceless. Good pictures, woman!

Becky said...

I was thinking about you the other day. Do you remember during one Mock Trial meeting at McKelvie when Mr. Phenix was saying that he got some sort of pay change, and then the room was silent for a moment, and then you and I said, "...How much?" at the same time? We used to do that all the time, haha!

I love your Friday photo shoot-outs! Were you considering posting your wedding photos? I saw a couple that your photographer did and I want to see more! =) Hope you're having fun in Alaska!

Love, Becky Noyes

Zaroga said...

First of all congratulations on your marriage! I hope you and Kip have many, many more years together.

Your photos are great!

GingerV said...

you tied your shoot out with the town quite nicely. congradulations on the wedding. I love the photo of your husband (yet?) sleeping on the plane - HOW do men do that? the blurred effect in the tunnel lends to the feeling of speed, great shot.

Cindy said...

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'll be sure to ask FT about the face-patting technique and update with some more accurate information than "I pat myself on the face and then I felt better".

Your comments make my day! Thank you!!!

Gordon said...

Juneau was the first city I ever visited in Alaska. It is one of my favorite places, there. Your bayfront is phenomenal, with all of the shops, cruise ships and fly-in restaurants. I'm looking forward to seeing them.
We only stayed in Juneau for one night. The next morning we took a helicopter ride over to Pelican to fish for a week. The only little store in Pelican sold milk for $9 per gallon.
Yhanks for the memories.