21 August 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Interesting and Amusing Signs

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the Friday Photo Shoot-Out, a project which was started to get bloggers out into their communities and showing them off to each other via a weekly photo theme. I figure there's no better way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska! This week's theme was "Interesting and Amusing Signs in your Area".

Internet update: I've been able to add a few photos! There are still more, but I'm working at it piece by piece and I'll also try updating soon with more information about the local tour debate, seeing as it's gotten such a strong reaction in the comments. Thanks everyone!


Remember that post a few months ago about bear-safe trash cans? Yeah, I wasn't kidding. They include instructions as to how to open them.

Juneaunians have some VERY strong opinions about whether or not local tours should be given to the tourists coming off the cruise ships. I can see both sides...if I owned a home on a quaint street here I wouldn't necessarily want fifty tourists walking across my lawn shooting photos every day. On the other hand, I also understand that our entire livelihood comes from the money from those tourists, so I'm okay with it. The homeowner above is not.


Then again, their neighbors across the street are.

I thought it was mildly amusing that our water meter covers are made in...Indiana???

I walk by this particular sign every time I leave my apartment to go to the grocery store or church or anywhere in downtown Juneau, really. But I never stopped to look at it until this week's shoot-out. Little did I know that I was walking on Native hallowed ground--this unassuming little patch of ground is the cremation site of Kowee, the chief of the Auke Tlingit (pronounced "Ock Klink-it") tribe. The sign says that he was part of the Raven clan (the Tlingits are split into two clans--Ravens and Eagles--to prevent intermarriage, as only Ravens can marry Eagles) and that he was cremated in 1892, around the age of 78.

Last but not least, I thought this was an amusing "sign" that an animal had stopped by the sidewalk...and that a human had not noticed it.

Even more photos to come!

10 comments:

GingerV said...

the middle of the road is best (cause there's dog stuff on the sidewalk) because if the tourist would respect peoples homes there would not be problems with tours coming through, I see all the time tours leaving their mess behind for the locals, DRIVES me crazy

Doreen said...

funny signs and some serious ones! I don't understand the local tours. do they tour through your yard or just around it?

ewwwwwwww...the last one! we have all done that before!!

Melissa said...

neat!

Sarah Lulu said...

Great shots ...I'm hoping to BECOME one of those tourists on a cruise to Alaska! I promise to be well behaved!

Chef E said...

ewww on the last one, but I agree tourists should respect the homeowners...

J9 said...

I've seen some nasty tourist behavior, and on those quaint streets, often there is a clause that realtors have to disclose the tours to potential buyers.

NanU said...

It's true that tourism cuts both ways. I always try to be respectful and discreet, but often my meer presence with a camera in a small town where everybody else knows everybody else is an intrusion.
Not going to stop travelling for all that, though!

Simply Heather said...

Wow...I don't know if I'd like sticking my finger into that hole for the garbage can...what if there's a spider or a bee or something else in there?! I like your signs shared....and that last one...eeeew :)

Zaroga said...

You found some great signs. I agree ewww on the last one :-)

Becky said...

Those are cool! Have you ever seen the one in Concord Electric Avenue with the sign underneath that says "No Outlet"?

Becky Noyes