28 August 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Incongruous Stuff

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the My Town Friday Photo Shoot-Out, a project begun to get bloggers into their communities and showing them off to each other. I figure there's no better way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska, so here we go!

This week's theme, suggested by Mary of Traveling Hammer, is "Incongruous Stuff". For those of you in need of a dictionary lesson, "incongruous" means "not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings or other aspects of something", according to my Mac's dashboard dictionary.

This is the normal view out of Kip's and my living room window. Yes, it is incredibly depressing. It's not the slightly melancholy structures that make it depressing--I actually find them sort of rugged and adventurous--it's the fact that it's raining.
A lot.
So much, in fact, that the roof on our neighbor's garage could be used as a skating rink once it gets cold enough.
This is, however, a typical Southeast Alaska day in all its depressing, wet glory. What stuff makes this photo incongruous, you ask? Well, nothing. I'm including it for reference to the next few photos.

This is incongruous. First of all, there is sunshine. This is unusual for Southeast Alaska in general and Southeast Alaska at the end of summer in particular (see above photo). The first few months of summer were uncharacteristically bright this year. By the mid-June, we'd already seen more sunny days than we had in all of summer 2008 and were steadily on our way to a drought. The drought only got worse into July, but by the time Kip and I came back from our wedding in August, the weather was back to its gloomy self, therefore making this sunny photo a statement of an incongruous day in Juneau. You might also notice the white stuff at the top of Mt. Roberts. Oh no, that's no dandruff, that is snow.
In late August.
If that's not strange, I don't know what is.

The incongruous sun sets behind unnamed mountains. Who knows how long it will be until we see it again? In the foreground, some spent stalks of fireweed show that the seasons aren't the same in Alaska as they are in the Lower 48--we're already well into early Autumn up here!

One courageous little stalk reminds me of the summer that once was. It was the first summer of my life that I remember seeing wildflowers that were actually wild--growing out of sheer adventure and free will, not because someone thought it would look pretty to scatter some wildflower seeds around their yard! These daring little plants are the first to grow after a razing forest fire, hence the name: Fireweed.

Now, this just isn't right. Is that really a satellite dish on top of an igloo???

13 comments:

NanU said...

yep, yep, satellite on the igloo! just wait a few years and they'll be the norm.

Mary said...

Good eye. This was hard for me to stick with the theme.

Kim said...

You Alaskans got our weather...we have had nothing but cool fall like days, mixed with lots of rain...feels like Seattle here in the Midwest...

An igloo with a satellite? What is this world coming to?

Gordon said...

Even the Fireweed makes me miss Juneau. You live in a beautiful town.

Kerry said...

Someday I want to visit Alaska; I'll come prepared for the weather! I bet you really do see satellite dishes out there in the Alaskan bush; its funny they put it on a neon sign!

Loon said...

Drought in Juneau, hmmm. The sorcerer's apprentice wonders how to turn the magic broom off. Karma has been likened to hitting a golf-ball in the bathtub.... The dish on the igloo, well, the dish will be there but the igloo will not. No incongruity then. And a chance for the awesome right-brained awareness of Inuit culture to take an easy and rightful place in the world. Hmmm....lots to chew on here. Thanks!

Pauline said...

Satellite dish on an igloo - just not right!! Loved your wedding photos, too!

Denise said...

love the satellite on the igloo - why not?

Chef E said...

I cheated, I had my husband in the car and kept repeating to him, look for incongruous sites, look for incongruous sites...I spotted only a few, and he the others, but I did take the photos :)

Great shots, I love 'real' wildflowers too...

Doreen said...

the igloo sign is funny! great shoot out!

Carrie said...

I like the igloo with the satellite - funny!

GingerV said...

the urban eskimo that is hilarious! loved your post.

J9 said...

That last one is really a cool sign, and incongruous!