24 July 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Reflections

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the Friday Photo Shoot-Out, a project begun to get bloggers into their communities and showing them off to each other by posting photos on a common theme every Friday. I figure there's no better way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska--and I've loved shooting photos there with my trusty cameraphone--but due to a family medical emergency and travel for my upcoming wedding, I've been trotting across the Western hemisphere this week!

This week's theme--reflections, suggested by Audrey (thanks, Audrey, that was a great idea!)--was really fun! I actually have a lot of reflection photos in my computer already, and since I was jet setting this week, I decided to include them to round out my post.

Oxford, England--A tower reflects off the water in the fountain in Tom Quad, the quad in the middle of Christ Church College at Oxford University. And, I must pay dues to one Miss Sammi Phillips, who actually took this picture while hanging out with me and showing me the ropes in jolly old England while I was at Oxford last summer getting the academic guts scared out of me by people with multiple PhDs.

Cochabamba, Bolivia--This city in Bolivia is home to the largest statue of Christ, affectionately called the Christo, in the world (even bigger than the one in Rio de Janeiro!). My mission team and I were playing with the kids at the foot of Christ, so to speak, when Mike, a fellow team member, said "Cindy, don't move!" Thinking there was a huge Bolivian bug on me, I froze in fear, only to realize later that he was taking this picture. In his words, "You can definitely see Christ in Cindy". Thanks, Mike.

Talcahuano, Chile--Different mission trip, different year, different people. We escaped to a nature preserve one afternoon and climbed a bluff to watch the sunset. It was totally worth the bug bites to get about a million pictures of the sun reflecting off the Pacific. And, I saw the green flash!

Lihue, Hawaii--I thought the fan reflecting in the spoon at breakfast on our last day in Hawaii was pretty cool. The orange in the lower left corner was tasty, too.

Lihue, Hawaii--The Church is supposed to be a reflection of Christ on earth, right? This church in Lihue really was--the head of the hospitality committee asked all the visitors to stand so that the locals could give each of them a lei to welcome them to worship in their church. It felt like something the Early Church would have done :)

Juneau, Alaska--This is for you, Gordon! I shot this photo on my phone from Kip's balcony overlooking the Gastineau Channel right before I left for Hawaii. I love the way the ships and the barge (with all our trash, lovely) reflect off the channel waters.

16 comments:

sciencegirl said...

you actually saw the green flash?! I am SO jealous! Also of the many interesting places you've been to.
Great post - thanks for the tour!

GingerV said...

did you mean this was your first shoot-out? great job. I look forward to when you focus on 'your town' will be an experience for us because you seem to have a very upbeat way of seeing the world around you.

Denise said...

great shots - love the first one.

Sarah Lulu said...

Loved the story about the church in Hawaii ...

Cindy said...

Ginger,
This isn't my first shoot-out, I've just been traveling all week! Fell free to check out my past shoot-outs for pictures of my home in Juneau, Alaska!

I'll be back in Juneau in two weeks after my wedding!
Thanks for stopping by!

-Cindy

Doreen said...

great reflections shots!! you are quite the traveler.

J9 said...

I love the first shot because I love castles, but the composition of the fan in the spoon with the orange, and the orange print on the cup - that is a well done shot!

Gordon said...

You are a dedicated member to post when you are so busy. Thanks. I enjoyed it.

REDLAN said...

I can say this is a set of perfect reflection photos. Thanks for haring them.

Can I grab my favorite photo? I planned to post a collection of this week's photo shoot out them. I will credit your site of course. If it's okay with you.

Chele said...

They are all good but that first one is my favorite.

Cindy said...

Go for it, Redlan! And thanks for stopping by :)

GigiSxm said...

love your reflection shots, how great you saw the green flash!!

Patty said...

Wonderful. I love all of your photos but the castle is my favorite. I can just picture a knight on a horse coming down the road.

Melissa said...

nice photos

Ann said...

That photo of the sun is really great. I just love such shots. welcomed to Friday shoot out. You will have fun and lots of friends.

Chef E said...

Very creative...I like this! The spoon is close to my heart being a chef, like the reflection! Are you doing a Outdoor Food post?