03 July 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-Out: Celebrate Life!

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the Friday Photo-Shoot Out, a project designed to get bloggers into their communities and showing them off to each other. This week's theme is "Celebrate Life!"

These first few photos admittedly aren't taken in Juneau, but in North East, Maryland. I'm sure this technicality will be overlooked, as they are the epitome of celebrating life; they're the first few pictures of my brand spanking new niece, Alli!

Mama Becky and Little Alli. She may have the surname of Hanson, but she's a Lambert through and through with that annoyed face.

My brother-in-law, Scott, with Alli on their porch at camp. Scott is the Council Program Director for the Del-Mar-Va Boy Scout Council, which means he gets to live and work at their scout reservation. Alli will be raised amongst hundreds and hundreds of boys. Good luck there, Scott!

Truth be told, if the Shoot-Out community wants a true picture of Juneau celebrating life, they would have to wait until Sunday. July 3rd and 4th are the two most exciting days here in Juneau. The city comes alive with celebrations! Alas, I must post before the celebrations begin, so I tried thinking of different ways that Juneaunians celebrate life. Well, one of the main ways is by celebrating wildlife:
...alive or dead, really. The combination of humans and wildlife often clashes in ways good and bad, as pictured above and below. This little bear was hit by a car and Kip was assigned to the call. It is not, however, the bear that paid me a visit last night (part 2 of the post coming soon!).

These Dungeness Crabs (or Dungies as they're sometimes called) are still alive, but not for long! They're the tastiest of all seafood in my opinion and are a true part of Juneau life.

No post on celebrating (wild)life could be complete without Sparky, my faithful beta. Three years and still kicking!

There's more than just wildlife to celebrate in Juneau. It also happens to have the best playground I've ever seen, complete with a castle, perfect for celebrating life in a most childlike manner.
Kip likes the monkey bars. I prefer the slides.

The Hatchery by the Gastineau Channel has a wonderful little petting zoo so people can experience the wildlife of the channel without stepping into the freezing waters.

The best part of Juneau life is how it connects the sea with celebration--here, Kip's parents, he and I had a cookout on the beach after a day of fishing. The salmon was incredible!!! It was a true celebration.

One of my all-time favorite pictures of Kip celebrating life, taken at the rocks outside the Shrine of St. Therese of Lisieux.

7 comments:

Audrey said...

What a great post! I loved your celebration of life! And I have to agree with you on the dungeness crab! LOVE THEM!

So happy that you joined the shoot-out. It is a lot of fun. I look forward to learning more about Juneau!

GingerV said...

very good photos for celebrate life. the one with Kip on the shore is very good. enjoyed!

Cindy said...

Thanks, Audrey and Ginger! I've felt such a warm welcome to the group and I'm loving it! :)

sciencegirl said...

Hey, I'm glad I found your blog. It must be great living in Alaska.

Zaroga said...

Really great post... I too like the last picture of Kip.

Grace Albaugh said...

What wonderful photos. I too Cheated" a bit with my Friday shoot, but the important part is the spirit of the theme and work.

Maithri said...

I come here by way of our mutual friend Tessa,

She told me of your kind gift to the people of Swaziland and I wanted to stop by and offer my personal thank you for the light you will bring into the lives of these beautiful but deeply disadvantaged people.

I love that last photo in this post - if only we all could embrace our lives like that!

With love, Maithri