05 June 2009

Friday Shoot-Out: Random

Inspired by Barry's passion for his community, I've decided to take part in the Friday Photo Shoot-Out, a project started by Reggie Girl to get bloggers into their communities and to show them off to each other as well.  I figure there's no greater way to get to know my new home of Juneau, Alaska, so here we go!

This week's theme is "Random".  I considered shooting this week with a randomly chosen theme--clocks, churches, favorite places to eat--and then the week got busy and I caught whatever mysterious illness Kip has been battling, and I settled for posting some of the random shots that I tend to take on a daily basis anyways, thanks to my spiffy camera phone.

A random but excited shot of my new Alaska driver's license.  I am official!  You can't get rid of me now, Alaska!

This is the same stretch of road pictured in the last Friday Shoot-Out--water.  Because Juneau is such a high latitude, the difference in the tides is markedly noticeable.  This stretch of the Gastineau Channel runs completely dry at low tide and completely flooded at high tide.  I find it utterly fascinating and--ahem--don't take pictures of it while I'm driving by.

I went out with a few new friends to the Alaskan Bar, a historic slice of Juneau nightlife.  A bluegrass band from Haines was playing, stomping on the worn wooden floor as locals and tourists all enjoyed a pitcher or two or three of our locally brewed ale.  It was an IPA brew for my table, which I choked down to be polite.  Personally, I prefer the Amber or Summer Ale brews, but then again, I am a newbie.

I found the juxtaposition of the sign to the litter in the downtown tourist district utterly ironic and hilarious.

One of the things that made this week so busy was getting ready to fly to New Hampshire for Casey--my future brother-in-law--and Tina's--my future sister-in-law--wedding.  Since I'll be gone for over a week, I asked Father Thomas to take care of Sparky.  Kip and I drove him up to church (me getting very wet pants from the tank in my lap sloshing over on some very bumpy roads and the fact that Jeeps aren't marketed for their smoothness of driving) but couldn't find FT anywhere!  So we left Sparky in the narthex.  We looked for a St. Francis of Assisi statue, as it would have been more appropriate to leave him there, but no luck. 

The moon hung between some of the many mountain peaks of Juneau as I drove home last night.  Fun fact about Juneau mountain summits:  the ones that are craggy and sharp were the ones that weren't covered by glaciers thousands of years ago.  The ones that are smooth and rounded were.

I drove to the airport at 6:00 this morning (the sun had been up for three hours already!) and was beguiled by this gate, which reads "Snow Gate!  Do Not Block!"  I think it's funny that a) we have snow gates in parking lots and b) they're up year 'round.

Only in Alaska do you actually need a sign like this at security.

I was given a free upgrade to First Class (thank you, thank you, THANK YOU God!), made my way through security, and currently sit at Gate 4 (out of 6...Juneau airport is a far way from O'Hare) enjoying my free wireless access (thank you GCI!) and drawing strange looks from passersby thanks to the presence of my bridal bouquet.  I found the silk flowers at a craft store here and grabbed them because they were so perfect.  Then again, the strange looks might also be because I'm sitting in a phone booth with my laptop propped up on the shelf.  Maybe they think I'll change into SuperWoman...or maybe just Super Blogging Woman.  I'll take that identity.  On to Boston, Super Blogging Woman, they're in need of witty banter!

Up, up, and awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are learning so much about Alaska without even being there thanks to your pictures and oh so witty captions. So tell me more about the phone booth Super Woman. Does it have one of those bifold doors? How ironic that you can sit in a phone booth and have free wireless all in the same location. gilmorelady